If you are looking for an ideal Christmas gift, try this. Sew a quick and easy nightgown for kids.
Purchase or use an old, larger than the child normally wears, tee shirt. Add some Christmas flannel or cotton print and you have a kids instant Christmas nitey.
Here are the instructions:
- Preshrink the tee shirt and fabric.
- Measure the bottom of the tee shirt. Depending on how full you want your ruffle, multiply the width of the tee shirt by 1-1/2 or 2 times the width of the tee shirt hem.
- Determine the length you want the ruffle to finish. Add about 1 inch to that measurement for a seam allowance and machine stitched hem. My ruffle is 6 inches finished. The fitted tee shirt I chose was long and the nightgown is for a little girl.
- Seam the ruffle if necessary to go around the bottom of the shirt.
- Gather the ruffle to fit the tee shirt. I used the serger to gather my ruffle and sew it to the bottom of the tee shirt at the same time. Use whatever gathering technique you prefer.
- Machine stitch the hem of the ruffle.
- Choose an applique motif from a scrap of fabric. Press the scrap to some fusible web. Center the design motif and cut it out. Fuse it to the center front of the tee shirt.
- Add some ruffle eyelet trim around the motif or applique stitch around it if desired. Add a small flannel fabric bow if desired.
Voila! Easy, instant nightgown!
Kids love having a special nightgown to wear on Christmas Eve while they wait for Santa.
Sew these quick and easy nightgowns any time of year. They are so comfy and girls really like them.
If you have boys, fuse a motif to a tee shirt and sew some quick one seam boxer shorts or long pj's to make them very happy, indeed! They don't have to fit really well. Kids love loose clothing.
Try making some long baggy pj's with appliqued tees for the college kids, too. They love to lounge in them in their dorms.
Keep it very simple and have fun!
It just makes sense!
To Your Sewing Success,
Sewing Project - Nightgowns
1st Step to Sewing Success Sewing Courses
Sewing Project Tips Sewing Blog
Sewing Success Sewing Blog
See more about sewing
Keywords: sewing, sewing tips, sewing techniques, sewing projects, how to sew, sewing courses, sew