YouCanMakeThis.com - Instant Download! Free Shipping Wildly Wonderful Wearables

Finally, A Show About Garment Sewing! Sandra Betzina is the Best!

Friday, November 09, 2007

How Do I Know How Lopsided I Am?

Fitting Question

Sewing Friends:

Gee! You gals are quick! I barely got the last post out, when I was asked how I determined how lopsided I am. In other words, how do I know that I am one inch larger on the right side of my hips and one inch higher on the right side? Did I just keep guessing until I got it right? Absolutely not!

That's where my common sense fitting method comes in. If you follow the instructions in my ebook, "Common Sense Fitting For Hard To Fit Folks Who Want Great Fitting Skirts and Pants", you can determine exactly where you differ from side to side and exactly how much that is. There is no trial and error or guessing at all. It makes sense to measure and fit this way. Try it!

It is so important to understand how much your body differs from side to side to get a good fit. Particularly, as we age, we seem to shift more due to operations, arthritis, etc., etc.

Oftentimes, folks don't even realize they are lopsided. They just know that their clothes are uncomfortable and don't fit. Consequently, these ladies usually choose very loose fitting garments to get the comfort they seek. This causes them to look more frumpy and matronly than they should look. They are unhappy with their sewing results and no longer sew for themselves. These ladies usually wear knits rather than wovens for the same reasons. Knits stretch where they have larger "bumps"!

If you are one of these ladies, please do yourself a favor and check out my Common Sense Fitting Method to learn more about your body, what you need, where you need it and how to apply that to a commercial sewing pattern.

Then, get the Wild Ginger pattern making software and input your larger measurements as your sloper. Print out patterns with your fit already in them for that side and then, after you cut out your garment, trim off what you don't need for the smaller side.

I am telling you that this is so much easier to do than fitting every pattern every time you make a garment. If you think about it, you probably only wear a few basic style garments, like pants, a top, skirt and jacket. Get those patterns to fit you and have fun sewing different fabrics and using different sewing techniques to create different looks without all the fitting frustration you suffered in the past.

Sew for yourself once again and really enjoy it! Good fit is possible! Go for it! You will look and feel so much better. It just makes sense!

To Your Sewing and Fitting Success,
Marian

1st Step To Sewing Success Sewing Courses
Sewing Success Sewing Blog

Sewing Project Tips Sewing Blog

Fitting Question

See more about sewing

Keywords: , , , , , ,

Feed Shark

Labels: , ,

Link

2 Comments:

Blogger Dorothee said...

Hiya, I have a question for you. I am currently working on a quilt for my godson and want to use fleece as a backing. Now, when I use it, fleece has a tendency to wrinkle. I am wondering whether starching it first would be a good idea. Have you had any success with that?

Since I'm investing a lot of time into this project, it better be damn near perfect, you know?!

Thanks in advance for any insight you can share.

5:51 AM  
Blogger Marian said...

Dorothee:

Since I am not a quilter, I don't feel qualified to answer your question. Maybe someone reading this will help. You might also try some quilting sites.
I do know that when I use fleece in garments, I preshrink it first.
Good luck with your project.
Marian

9:24 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Google
Web 1ststeptosewingsuccess.blogspot.com