YouCanMakeThis.com - Instant Download! Free Shipping Wildly Wonderful Wearables

Finally, A Show About Garment Sewing! Sandra Betzina is the Best!

Sunday, October 28, 2007

Heirloom Hankies Sewing Projects

Sewing Project - Heirloom Hankies

Sewing Friends:

It is amazing what precious memories come up when you see or think about a simple old fashioned ladies handkerchief. If you have some of these dainty hankies laying around in your cedar chest or attic, get them out and do something with them.

Make a small pillow, large pillow sham, wall hanging or table runner as a gift for someone special who will appreciate the love and the stories behind all those wonderful pieces of embroidered cloth with crocheted edges.

I remember making handkerchief dolls and tea aprons using printed hankies when I was a kid. I also remember my grandmother crocheting and tatting around the edges of hankies. She also did the finest hand embroidery I have ever seen. I never could make such tiny perfect stitches.

In one of my previous posts, I told you what I did with some of our family hankies. See Sew A Pillow Sham From Vintage Hankies and Old Linens. The pillow shams I made are now family treasures to be passed down to the next generation.

Here is another idea of preserving some family heirlooms by Debbie Cook. Debbie offers instructions on how to create an Heirloom Hankies Pillow.

I agree with Debbie that the hardest part was cutting into that first handkerchief. That was hard. It seemed almost sinful.

If you are interested in more information about vintage hankies, go to Vintage Hankies - More Than Sneeze Catchers .

Don't leave the family hankies stored away. Get them out and enjoy these collectibles. Let us know what you created with your vintage hankies.

To Your Sewing Success,

Marian

1st Step To Sewing Success Sewing Courses
Sewing Success Sewing Blog
Sewing Project Tips Sewing Blog

Sewing Project - Heirloom Hankies

See more about sewing

Keywords: , , , , , ,

Feed Shark

Labels: , , , ,

Link

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Google
Web 1ststeptosewingsuccess.blogspot.com