YouCanMakeThis.com - Instant Download! Free Shipping Wildly Wonderful Wearables

Finally, A Show About Garment Sewing! Sandra Betzina is the Best!

Friday, November 09, 2007

Wild Ginger and Me

Sewing Pattern Software

Sewing Friends:

Wow! I haven't posted anything for a while. But, that doesn't mean I am not sewing. In fact, I recently became certified as a Wild Ginger Instructor and have been sew busy learning and teaching.

I have to admit that I was very skeptical about apparell pattern making software. I didn't really believe that I could input some measurements into my computer and my printer would print out a pattern that would actually fit my crooked body. But, right now, I am wearing a pair of pretty good looking pants and I have three tops that are exactly that. And, they came from Wild Ginger.

Granted that it took a little extra work on my part, but I think I finally have it figured out. I just had to use my "common sense" fitting knowledge. And that is, you put the fabric where you need it!

As I explained in the past, the right side of my body is one inch larger than the left side and my right hip is one inch higher than my left. That simply means that my right side needs more fabric than my left. So, how do I accommodate that especially in pants?

Well, I definitely cannot use a full hip measurement because that puts my center seam off center. The right pulls it off to the right. I needed to know what half of my hip measured front to back on my larger side. From center front to center back on my right side, I measured 20 inches. I doubled that to get 40 inches to put into the computer even though my hips actually measure 39 inches. With the 40 inch hip, the computer places my center seam where it should be on my body. It just makes sense! I know that no one wants to see a larger number on their hip line, but sometimes you have to do what you have to do to get the results you want.

I swallowed hard when I looked at that pattern and cut out my fabric double layer using the 40 hip pattern. Then, after carefully discerning which layer is my right side and which is my left, I cut off 1/2 inch front and back on the left side of my pants to size it down to what I need on my left side. That brought me back to a 39 inch total hipline with the center seams where they should be in the center of my body. I felt better already! Then, I cut off 1 inch at the top waistline of the left side and tapered that to nothing at the center front and center back to accommodate my lower left side. Halleleujah!

I told the computer to drop my center back 1/2 inch to take care of my flat seat and added a smidge for my tummy bulge at the center front line. That did it! I have my basic pants sloper and I don't have to have a right and left pattern that I have to cut out single layer.

Hope this helps some of you. Now, I will try some different style pants and I want to try some jackets, too.

Go to Wild Ginger to check out all the different software programs that they have to offer. Check out the free demos here.

Download Wild Ginger Wild Things! to try out and discover how easy it is to use. This is free software to easily design and print patterns for Hats, Bags and Other Fun Stuff.

Wild Things! is a fully functional FREE program for drafting patterns for hats, bags, wraps, and footwear.

There are public and private Wild Ginger Community Forums where you can ask questions and discuss Wild Ginger issues, etc.

I will let you know how I progress with Wild Ginger. If any of you have any Wild Ginger tips for us, please share them.

To Your Sewing Success,
Marian

1st Step To Sewing Success Sewing Courses
Sewing Project Tips Sewing Blog
Sewing Success Sewing Blog


Sewing Pattern Software

See more about sewing

Keywords: , , , , , ,

Feed Shark

Labels: , , , , ,

Link

1 Comments:

Blogger The Quinn's said...

Cool! I will be doing these soon!

7:56 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Google
Web 1ststeptosewingsuccess.blogspot.com