YouCanMakeThis.com - Instant Download! Free Shipping Wildly Wonderful Wearables

Finally, A Show About Garment Sewing! Sandra Betzina is the Best!

Monday, September 10, 2007

Sewing Tips - How To Match Plaids and Designs

Sewing Tip - Matching Plaids and Designs

Sewing Friends:

Plaids are popular once again. Whether you are sewing a plaid or any other design, you want to match everything to create a quality garment or home dec project. You can do it! It takes a little more time and a little more fabric, but it is definitely worth it.

Sewing Books

There are several sewing books and articles available on how to match plaids and designs, etc. Almost all general sewing books cover this subject. Most of them say about the same thing concerning matching fabric designs and generally, they are good instructions. Check your sewing books in your library or browse my sewing book store.

In addition, here are a few sewing tips that I use in my garment and home dec sewing to match designs.

Cutting Tips - Single Layer

Personally, I prefer to cut out single layer when I really want something to match perfectly. I lay out the fabric double layer initially matching the 2 layers the best I can. But, when I cut, I actually only cut through the top layer. Then I check the bottom layer to see if I need to adjust it slightly to get a perfect match to the top layer and then cut the bottom layer. This works pretty well most of the time.

Depending on the fabric and design, there are times when I lay everything out single layer and put post-it notes on my pattern to help me remember to flip the pattern over to cut the other layer.

Stitching Tips - Fusible Thread Technique
  • Put fusible thread on the bobbin of your sewing machine.

  • Place one layer of the garment with the wrong side up at the machine.

  • Stitch with a long basting stitch 1/2 inch from the edge. This puts fusible thread on the right side on the fabric close to the seam line.

  • Then, lay the piece you want to match right side up on the press table.

  • Fold under the seam allowance on the piece that you stitched.

  • Now, lay it over the other piece and match it up exactly where you want it.

  • Stab pin it in place and then press to fuse the thread to the underneath piece.

  • Flip over the top piece so the two right sides of both pieces are together.

  • Now, with regular thread on your sewing machine, stitch the seam at 5/8".
The fusible thread holds the fabric in place so there should be no slippage.

You may want to use a walking foot, too.

I always use the fusible thread technique when I am trying to match up flowers or other designs in a garment or home dec project, too.

Steam-A-Seam fusible tape is another product that I use a lot to help me keep things from shifting and to line things up for a perfect match. Steam-A-Seam holds something permanently and you don't even have to stitch it. This is really great for home dec items.

Hope these sewing tips help you achieve sewing success.

It just makes sense!

To Your Sewing Success,
Marian

1st Step To Sewing Success Sewing Courses
Sewing Project Tips Sewing Blog
Sewing Success Sewing Blog


Sewing Tip - Matching Plaids and Designs
See more about sewing

Keywords: , , , , , ,

Feed Shark

Labels: , , , , , ,

Link

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Google
Web 1ststeptosewingsuccess.blogspot.com