YouCanMakeThis.com - Instant Download! Free Shipping Wildly Wonderful Wearables

Finally, A Show About Garment Sewing! Sandra Betzina is the Best!

Wednesday, June 13, 2007

Fashion Trends - Sloppy Grunge Look

Hi Sewing Friends:

I just returned from vacation. We had a wonderful time with our family and visited many old friends along the way. The scenery in the Canadian Rockies is really spectacular and the weather couldn't have been better. We had sunshine every day.

Usually, when I travel, I see some fashion trend that inspires me to create more sewing projects. But, I have to tell you that after traveling North and South, East and West across our country and Northwest into Canada, I saw only two older ladies that looked nicely dressed. It didn't matter if we were in the city, at an airport, or in a park or restaurant, we saw sloppy beyond casual dressing everywhere.

It makes me wonder if, when the older generation dies off, good fashion will die with it.

My granddaughter tells me that "grunge" is in. Wear whatever, wherever, wrinkled or torn,
mismatched, ill-fitted and sloppy looking with a pair of flip-flops and you will fit in with the crowd. Make sure your hair looks messy and lots of body parts are exposed, too.

Even in church, so many people look like they just rolled out of bed. No one seems to take pride in their appearance anymore. I believe that shows a lack of respect in a house of worship. Even if you are poor and have very little, you can be clean and neat in your appearance and not look half naked in church. Sorry, but that is my opinion.

As far as I'm concerned, I will continue to wear well fitted classical style clothing. So, I guess I will be "out of style," but that's OK with me.

It just makes sense to me that if you look good, you feel good and your work is better and more professional. If we look respectful, we act respectful. It's been proven over time that clothing does affect our behavior. I think the sloppy look reflects the, "I don't want to work for it - you owe me!" sloppy attitudes so many have today.

What do you think?

I don't know how or want to sew "grunge"! So, I'm off to my sewing room to create another classic garment and will soon be sharing more sewing tips with those of you who still care how you look. Is anyone out there?

To Your Sewing Success,
Marian

See more about sewing

Keywords: ,
Feed Shark

Labels: , ,

Link

4 Comments:

Blogger Peggy said...

Welcome back! I agree with you completely about the dressing like a civilized human being, especially in a house of worship.

12:56 PM  
Blogger LauraM said...

I agree! Just ask my DD's, my 20 & 17 yo, we had dress rules even for school at our home. I believe even for school you have to learn what is proper. What I see is allot of clothing that belongs to yard work or in the bar. Yes, if you want to be taken seriously for the job you have to dress the part, that is my belief. My eldest is now at college, is doing a summer corporate intern & gets it! As for church, we always had to dress for church, there was even special church clothes when I was young. My kids just had to dress nice, no jeans!

4:54 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hello Marian,
I completely agree with you 100%. I seem to be going to alot of doctors appointments lately and I would not even think of leaving my home looking like most all of the women that I see there look like. This is so disrepectful and uncaring to present yourself in that manner.

2:28 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi, Mariam! I agree with you completely about dressing properly, especially in a house of worship. In my opinion, the current fad of looking like something the dog drug up and the cat wouldn't have is disgraceful.I do hope it runs its course soon. I also plan to dress nicely and appropriately whether I am "in style" or not! Hurray for you!
erceil

4:40 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Google
Web 1ststeptosewingsuccess.blogspot.com