YouCanMakeThis.com - Instant Download! Free Shipping Wildly Wonderful Wearables

Finally, A Show About Garment Sewing! Sandra Betzina is the Best!

Thursday, July 13, 2006

Sewing - Teaching a Beginner To Sew Their First Sewing Project

Sewing Friends:

There is nothing more satisfying to me than to see the smile on the face of a beginner who sees their first sewing project completed. That "Wow, I did it myself!" is worth so much not only to the teacher, but to the student as well.

Today, I taught my grandson's girl friend how to sew a simple project. She had never used a sewing machine before. I started her right in on sewing a project. There was no practicing on paper or pieces of fabric. That bores most young people. I had her sew a "Wonder Wallet". It is a "Lazy Girl Design" . You can order the pattern at http://www.lazygirldesigns.com
It is a great quick and easy project that takes very little fabric. Everyone can use one.

This gal had admired my "Wonder Wallet." I told her she could make her own. She said she would like to learn to sew someday. Well, today was the day. Now, that she has her own "Wonder Wallet", she wants to make more for gifts for her family and friends. Then, she wants to make some "pillows" and other things, like maybe a "skirt". I think she is "hooked". How cool is that!

In the process of sewing her wallet, she learned how to operate the sewing machine, how to sew straight, how to backstitch, how to stitch a knot, how to topstitch, how to zigzag, how to pivot a corner, how to prepare fabric, how to cut with dress maker shears, how to measure and cut fabric, how to follow sewing instructions, how to press, how to sew Velcro, how to turn a corner right side out, plus many sewing tips and more sewing techniques. All that she accomplished in a few minutes time. Best of all, she had something to show for her efforts and she was proud of it.

Teach someone to sew. It is sew much fun! You will enjoy it as much as they do.

We really need to pass on the art and the joy of sewing.

To Your Sewing Success,

Marian

PS: Have you taught someone to sew or are you learning? Tell me about your sewing experiences. I'd love to hear them. Please comment here on my blog.

See more about sewing

Keywords: , , , , ,

Feed Shark
Link

2 Comments:

Blogger Just Another *SINGLE* Mom said...

Lucky Girl!! I need some lessons!! I have been teaching myself. My husband just bought my FIRST machine for Mother's Day.

I'd LOVE some pointers for a newbie if u have any!

12:45 AM  
Blogger Marian said...

Hi Just Another Army Wife!

First of all, I want to say, "Thanks so much for all you and your family are doing for our country! We really appreciate you!"
It's great that you have an interest in sewing. It really helps when you have a family and are on a tight budget, too.
As a newbie with kids, I think (assuming that you know how to operate your sewing machine)that you would really enjoy learning my basic sewing techniques in my ebook, "Sew A TeePee And Accessories For Your Tribe Of Kids". You can get it at http://www.1ststeptosewingsuccess.com/sewing.html

It's loaded with good sewing info and instructions not only for tee pees, but for pillows, simple quilts and placemats. Your kids will love it and what you learn can be applied to a lot of home dec, gift ideas and other sewing projects as well. Try it! If you have any problems or questions, please let me know. I'm here to help. Stay in touch! You can be a "Lucky girl, too!"
There are also a lot of free sewing projects here on my blog that you might like. Check them out as well. Start with simple sewing projects and build on your skills.
If you like my website, I would really appreciate it if you would post a link on your blog and pass the word to your friends.

To Your Sewing Success,
(Just Another Grandmother)

11:12 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Google
Web 1ststeptosewingsuccess.blogspot.com