YouCanMakeThis.com - Instant Download! Free Shipping Wildly Wonderful Wearables

Finally, A Show About Garment Sewing! Sandra Betzina is the Best!

Monday, September 03, 2007

How To Sew A T-Shirt Top

Sewing Techniques - T-Shirts

Sewing Friends:

T-shirts are a fashion staple in most of our wardrobes. Prices on ready-to-wear t-shirts vary widely. I can't imagine paying $200 for a t-shirt, but I have seen them for that price.

T-shirts are quick and easy garments to sew. With a few pattern fitting tips and some nice knit fabric, you can sew a whole wardrobe of gorgeous high fashion tee shirts that will take you anywhere anytime.

I consider Marcy Tilton the Queen of T-shirt making. Marcy's sewing tips and techniques are priceless. I encourage all of you to follow her easy to read instructions and learn how to sew a tee shirt that you will love.

Be sure to get Marcy's book, "Easy Guide To Sewing Tops and T-Shirts". It is a must-have sewing book to include in your sewing library.

Check out her article, "Not Your Ordinary T-Shirt" in Threads Magazine.

Also, go to my Sewing Project Tips Sewing Blog and see my post on a Classic Sewing Pattern for a Misses T-Shirt Top that I recommend you add to your classic basic wardrobe.

Make your own designer quality t-shirts that fit you. It's quick, easy and fun and you'll save a lot of money!

It just makes sense!

To Your Sewing Success,

Marian

1st Step to Sewing Success Sewing Courses
Sewing Project Tips Sewing Blog
Sewing Success Sewing Blog


Sewing Techniques - T-Shirts


See more about sewing

Keywords: , , , , , ,

Feed Shark

Labels: , , , , , , , , ,

Link

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Marion -

Buoyed by my youngest teenager daughter's surprising interest in sewing, I am rekindling my own from many, many years ago. I figured that I'd start with something very easy. I've an old silk boxy lined blazer which I don't wear because it is shapeless. I want to add some shaping and I'm thinking that the easiest thing to do is to add some darts in the back and maybe take in the sides. I happened upon your blog and I thought I'd ask you whether this is do-able and whether you have any helpful hints. Many thanks.

Shawn from New Orleans.

4:56 PM  
Blogger Marian said...

Hi Shawn:

I've done this on some of my old jackets and they do look a whole lot better.

Put your jacket on and pinch it in at the waistline side seams on both sides. You want to mark where your waist line is. I use safety pins to mark the spots.

Remove the jacket.

Then, open the lining so you can get to the jacket side seams.

Mark the waistline 5/8" deeper and then gradually taper back out to the stitching up to the armhole and down to the hem on both sides.

Do this to the jacket and the lining.

Trim some the excess seam allowance away to allow it to lay flat.

Press well and restore the lining.


I didn't find it necessary to stitch back darts. This subtle shaping was all that it needed to give the garment a more flattering look.

Hope this helps.

To Your Sewing Success,
Marian

9:16 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

This was very helpful! - Aaron Sewing Style

3:13 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Google
Web 1ststeptosewingsuccess.blogspot.com